The smell of turkey, fresh bread or apple pie in the oven. The taste of the long-awaited holiday dinner. The sound of the quiet crackle of the fire in the hearth. The feeling of warmth and comfort watching the game or an old movie on the couch. And the look of the tree when you first light the lights.
These are the things that make the holidays, “the holidays”. And the season wouldn’t be nearly as special if they didn’t stimulate your senses.
This time of year is the perfect time to decorate with your senses. Taste, touch, smell, sight and sound are really all the guidelines you need to make this season merry and bright.
Here are a few thought-starters for your senses!
The Sense of Touch
- Layer a faux fur throw on the guest bed for visiting family.
- Throw a cable knit pillow on the overstuffed chair by the fire.
- Warm up the floor and the conversation in everyone’s favorite seating area with a flokati or shearling rug.
- Create a refuge from the hustle and bustle in your bedroom with a thick woven tapestry coverlet and texturally contrasting silk pillowcases and shams.
- Give yourself the relaxing feeling of pedicure—at home—with our Zen Hydrate Aromatherapy Booties. They’ll soothe and soften your feet while the botanical oils in them are a treat to your sense of smell too.
- Nestle something unexpected like a pair of our Great White Owl in your holiday tree. Their bright eyes are attention-getters, and their plush microfiber fur is irresistibly touchable.
The Sense of Taste
- Take time to enjoy the tastes of the season like a cup of aromatic tea or hazelnut coffee in our Expression Tea and Coffee Mugs.
- Choose an antique serving dish for your holiday table. We like to think dishing up a family recipe in our Quimper or Asparagus dish makes it taste even better.
The Sense of Sight
- Play with light by placing mercury glass around the room. We especially love the look of light dancing from our silvery Lighted Mercury Glass Sphere and three types of Lighted Mercury Glass Trees.
- Arrange flameless candles in every room. On windowsills. Lining the mantel. And on bedside tables. They eliminate the worry about fire, and you’ll love the convenience of remote control.
- Include brilliant table lamps into your holiday décor like our stellar La Estrella Table Lamp. In two heights, these lamps are as architectural as they are illuminating and mixed in a tablescape they add height, depth and glow.
- Add the vintage charm of a cloche like our Cloche Dome Candle to your decorating scheme. The large size has three wicks and makes a simple romantic centerpiece and the small size is petite enough to highlight an entry console table or serving sideboard without taking up too much space.
- One of our favorite décor ideas is to place delicate Starlight Wire String Lights under a cloche. These twinkling strings under glass look like captured fireflies during the chilly season.
The Sense of Smell
- We have a collection of warm, exotic, citrusy or floral fragrances that make thoughtful holiday gifts for friends, family and don’t forget you!
- Our Gilda Eau de Parfum blends Calabrian bergamot with orange blossoms from Seville and bright grapefruit.
- Our Aya Blue Perfum Set seduces with notes of Persian lime, orchid, ginger, vanilla and white truffle.
- And the eau de toilette we call Brise d’ete No. 7 has crisp whispers of white pear and fresh citron mixed with freesia petals.
Whichever you choose, your sense of smell will be pleased!
The Sense of Hearing
As the friends, family, neighbors and new acquaintances enter your home this holiday, take a moment to bask in your fifth sense—the sense of hearing appreciation for how beautiful and welcoming your house feels, looks, smells, and simply is—thanks to you.