By VENeffect Founders, Cecil Booth & Rebecca Booth, MD
During colder months, our mood and metabolism can hit a low point, and skin may become dull and dry. Thankfully, the founders of VENeffect share with us how to recover from the winter blues and take care of our health inside and out.
Many of us have grown up seeking comfort in food during the colder months. Recognizing this allows us to be prepared when cravings strike by having healthier options at the ready. Combining healthy food options, consistent exercise, and a skin care ritual every morning and night will not just make you feel better, your skin will literally glow with vitality. In her book The Venus Week, VENeffect Co-Founder Dr. Rebecca Booth shares some easy tips to achieve what she calls the “Venus Effect”, an inside-out approach to optimizing wellness. Her secret—offsetting hormonal variation by using Mother Nature’s gift: phytoestrogens, molecules found in some of the healthiest plants on the planet. Phytoestrogens steady the ebb and flow of our hormones and can sustain the Venus Effect in mood, metabolism, and skin. Her sister, and VENeffect Co-Founder Cecil Booth, contributes an insider’s understanding of beauty resulting from her over 25 years in the industry. Cecil shares their motivation for creating VENeffect: “We decided to launch a skin care line to address the way we uniquely age as women, and along with it a holistic approach to beauty based on the synergy of our professional backgrounds.”
Stop Cravings with Simple Substitutions:
Dr. Booth shares strategies with her patients for achieving a resilient metabolism that helps them navigate the hormonal shifts and changes women experience as we age. One of her top nutritional suggestions is to reduce sugar and simple carbohydrates and add in more plant protein. Adapted from her book, these easy substitutions will give your winter nutritional strategy a healthy twist.
1. Instead of carbohydrate rich breakfast foods, opt for plant protein early in the day. Nuts or nut butters, such almond butter, hummus, or a smoothie with chia or flax seeds will not only keep you satisfied longer, the plant protein rich in phytoestrogens will make your skin glow!
2. Later in the day, try eating a whole piece of fruit instead of fruit juice or sugary drinks for quick energy. Eating the whole fruit will prevent a sugar jolt and add energy sustaining fiber. Berries are a great choice as they are naturally loaded with nutrients and phytoestrogens packed into the tiny seeds.
3. For lunch and dinner look for savory options loaded with fiber-rich plant protein such as spicy lentils and legume-filled soup, stew or chili. Spices such as turmeric, cumin and cinnamon will keep you warm and often contain phytoestrogen molecules that boost your calorie burning potential, stabilizing your metabolism.
4. For side dishes, instead of white starches, try brown short-grain rice or quinoa, both can be made in a rice steamer and serve up a heaping amount of gluten free fiber, lessening insulin surges, but still offering comfort.
5. Don’t forget your veggies such as roasted brussel sprouts, kale, chard, or roasted peppers. These deeply colored veggies are prebiotic and loaded with vitamins that support collagen, both to help your waist and your skin.
6. After a meal, enjoy a calming cup of herbal tea. Chamomile tea contains natural virus-fighting molecules called tannins, and the Zen effect of the warm drink can ease evening snack cravings.
Hydrate and Inspire your Skin:
For women, changes in hormones throughout the month and as we age create a need to replenish lost collagen and elasticity in the skin. Colder temps and dryness take their toll on skin as well, a double whammy in winter. As women, and based on their professional backgrounds, the VENeffect founders were inspired to create the VENeffect Anti-Aging Skin Care line to promote peak vitality throughout the month and throughout the year, addressing skin challenges unique to women. The first product they developed is the must-have VENeffect Anti-Aging Intensive Moisturizer. It is designed to be used day and night – and is ideal for all skin types. It is called “Intensive” because it has the highest level of their proprietary phytoestrogen technology that inspires collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid production naturally! The result? Luminous, younger looking, moisturized skin.
Winter is not the time to skimp on any part of your skin care regimen. No matter the weather, take the time to cleanse and exfoliate to reduce the dulling effects of dry winter skin, and then immediately follow with serum and a generous dollop of moisturizer. This ritual will set your skin up to be protected and luminous in the day, and deeply hydrated and nourished as you sleep.
Morning Meditative Visualization
When winter lingers, metabolism as well as mood can be at a low point. This is a great time to start a meditation practice to boost mental energy and focus. Here is Dr. Booth’s simple five-minute meditation practice she commits to every day:
1. Just after awakening, sit (or lie) comfortably straight with one hand on your abdomen.
2. Breathe in slowly through your nose or pursed lips.
3. As you breathe in deeply, feel your upper abdomen expand with your hand, if you don’t feel it, lift yourself up more—as if someone is pulling your head straight up by your hair. Breathe deeper.
4. Slowly exhale through pursed lips to intensify the release of air.
5. Begin to imagine your day, starting with when your feet hit the floor.
6. Try to clearly see all of the day’s events exactly as you want them to happen. While you are visualizing, focus on your breath.
7. Bring your thoughts to a close with a feeling of gratitude.
By incorporating vitality inspiring lifestyle, food and skin care steps throughout the winter, spring will come with a head start on luminosity and a sense of well-being.
VENeffect is an anti-aging skin care line that targets changes in skin due to hormonal variation throughout the month and as a woman ages. Founded by Rebecca Booth, M.D., a gynecologist, author and hormonal wellness expert, and her sister, Cecil Booth, a beauty-industry veteran, it is the first line of skin care completely dedicated to inspiring peak hormonal vitality in skin. Powered by their unique phytoestrogen technology, the line diminishes the signs of aging, improves skin balance and clarity and inspires a luminous glow.